Do you want to get rid of dark circles permanently? Try these simple and easy DIY eye mask recipes.
Are you struggling with stubborn dark circles? Staying up all night to watch the latest Netflix release could be to blame. Sleep deprivation can cause your skin to become dull and pale, making dark tissues and blood vessels beneath your skin show. However, that is not the only reason dark circles make an appearance. Sun damage, age, genetics, and dehydration are other common causes of dark circles. The circles under the eyes may look blue to black, depending on your skin colour. But how do you get rid of them?
How can you get rid of dark circles?
Removing dark circles or minimising their appearance calls for an individualised approach. Fortunately, there are a ton of DIY remedies that can help you get rid of these pesky under-eye circles. Cooling and relaxing under eye masks are an excellent way to tackle dark circles. Here are some of the best tried and tested eye mask recipes that you can try:
- Almond oil and honey eye mask
This DIY eye mask recipe combines two very potent ingredients – honey and almond oil. If applied regularly, a combination of almond oil and honey can work wonders as a natural treatment for dark circles. Since almond oil is packed with vitamin E, it protects your skin from sun damage, prevents premature ageing, and prevents moisture loss. Honey, a powerhouse of antioxidants, can also reduce your dark circles significantly.
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon almond oil
1 tablespoon honey
- Add a spoonful of almond oil and honey into a bowl. Mix well to form a paste.
- Apply this mixture under your eyes.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off and slathering the area with a moisturising cream.
- DIY rose and cucumber eye mask
If you want to get rid of pesky dark circles, you must try this DIY rose and cucumber eye mask. It is easy to make and gives incredible results. It is also very refreshing. Cucumbers are packed with vitamin C and can nourish and moisturise your skin. According to a 2012 study, applying cucumber slices to your eyes may soothe tired eyes and reduce swelling. Rose water is an excellent option to get rid of dark circles since it not only brightens the skin but also rejuvenates it.
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon rose water
- Blend half a peeled cucumber in a blender.
- Transfer the juice into a bowl. Don’t forget to use a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Then, add a tablespoon of rose water. Mix it well.
- Refrigerate this mixture for 20 minutes.
- Dip two cotton pads in this mixture and apply them to your eyes. Keep it on for 15 minutes.
- Turmeric and buttermilk eye mask
Turmeric is one of the healthiest foods you can consume. But did you know that it also has a plethora of skin benefits? Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance that studies suggest helps reduce UV damage, treat acne, and lighten pigmentation. Buttermilk contains lactic acid, which exfoliates your skin and brightens your under-eye area.
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon buttermilk
- Add the turmeric and buttermilk to a small bowl.
- Mix well with a spatula to form a lightweight mask.
- Then, apply the mask with a small brush over your dark circles. But be careful and avoid your eye area.
- Let the turmeric and buttermilk paste dry on your skin for about 15 minutes.
- Wash off with water or use a washcloth to carefully wipe it off and reveal glowing, healthy-looking skin underneath.
For more dark circle-related tips, schedule a consultation with me here.