Under-eye dark circles are one of the most common skincare concerns I see in my practice. The skin itself is very thin—because of that, the skin around your eyes is more susceptible to breaking down, meaning it’s that it’s more prone to developing fine lines and wrinkles and under-eye dark circles. Often accompanied by stress, long hours and an insufficient amount of sleep, dark circles are also a cause of depletion of collagen under the eyes, as well as your lifestyle.
Here are some of the most common reasons you have dark circles…
1. Fluid accumulation due to bone structure and the natural contour of the face. This can cause oxygenation of blood causing bluish dark circles.
2. Salt foods leading to fluid retention often accompanied by puffiness in the morning.
3. Irritation from cosmetics and products
4. Hyperpigmentation due to overexposure to the sun without sunscreen, as well as melasma
5. Ageing, which reduced levels of fatty tissue around the eyes
6. Poor habits like frequently rubbing of eyes
7. Inherited genes: if they’re common in your family, you’re more susceptible to having dark circles under your eyes.
8. Lack of sleep or poor sleeping habits
9. Anaemia from an iron deficiency along with other deficiencies can cause dark circles.
10. Dehydration can cause dullness, and dark circles too.
11. Allergies, including hay fever is also known to be a cause for under eye dark circles.
At-Home Remedies To Tackle Dark Circles
1. Cold compress. This can constrict the blood vessels and help eliminate dark circles. Wrap a few ice cubes in a clean washcloth and apply to your eyes.
2. Get enough sleep. Catching up on sleep can also help reduce the appearance of dark circles.
3. Tea isn’t just for sipping. You can actually use caffeinated tea bags under your eyes to help with dark circles and bags.
4. Upping your water intake should help.
5. Facial massage: Use gentle strokes of your fingertips or use a roller to massage your under-eye area after applying an eye cream. This helps with blood circulation and lymphatic drainage.
Ingredients & Topical Creams
1. Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are common sunscreen ingredients and are the safest to be used around the under-eye area.
2. Caffeine can constrict blood vessels, reduce swelling while hyaluronic acid or glycerin is good to keep that area hydrated.
3. Both Vitamin K and arnica, have shown evidence to improve puffy skin around the eyes and potentially improve dark circles.
4. Speak to your dermatologist about using an eye cream with retinoids and various antioxidants like niacinamide and vitamin C, like arbutin and soy and lightening agents like kojic acid. Please remember, this is not a one-size-fits-all approach.
Every patient is different, therefore I stress on improving your quality of life, and seek expert help for a customised evaluation. You can also make an appointment at my clinic, ISAAC Luxe.
DOS & DONTS TO AVOID UNDER EYE DARK CIRCLES
If you want to look young and refreshed, start by preventing dark circles. When blood vessels underneath your skin’s surface become more visible, it can leave you looking tired, unhealthy, and much older than you actually are. These dark shadows under the eyes can be caused by a lack of sleep, stress, long hours in front of your computer, dehydration, allergies, ageing, or even genetics. There are some dos and don’ts they can help you prevent or minimize the appearance of dark circles under your eyes:
Do’s for dark circles for under eye:
- A well-balanced diet rich in iron, vitamin K, vitamin C can considerably improve dark circles.
- About 7 hours of sleep at night with a 15-20 minutes nap in the day time is sufficient to keep you fresh and reduces the appearance of dark circles.
- Wearing good quality sunglasses and applying sunscreen daily on the under-eye area will reduce the sun damage to the delicate skin of eyes.
- Cold compresses soothe the skin. One can use cucumber slices, potato slices, cold tea bags or cold clothes. Theses are to be applied on closed eyelids for at least 15 minutes.
- Always remove your makeup gently with cleansing milk without much rubbing or pulling the skin of under eye.
- Decrease stress and discover more time to relax.
DONT’S FOR DARK CIRCLES
- Don’t consume excessive salt so as to decrease puffiness or bags under eye.
2. Avoid doing prolonged working on computers or reading continuously at a stretch. If required, take a break of 20 to 30 minutes in between.
3. Don’t consume excessive alcohol, smoking, caffeinated sodas, and addictive drugs, as these affect the quality of sleep, increasing appearance of dark circles.
4. Don’t sleep with makeup on. Makeup can irritate your skin and cause you to rub your eyes, which causes increased pigmentation.
5. Don’t keep rubbing your eyes every now & then. Rubbing irritates the skin & can break the very small & delicate blood vessels underneath the eyelids, leading to increased pigmentation.
TREATMENTS AT ISAAC LUXE
Thanks to our hectic schedules and fast-paced lifestyles, dark circles are one of the most common problems faced in recent times. With a combination of at-home skin routines, regular sleep patterns and treatments at ISAAC Luxe, you can now visibly reduce the appearance of dark circles. At ISAAC Luxe, we first do a complete medical check to rule out and work on any deficiencies that could be causing dark circles. With a combination of at-home skincare routine that may include eye creams, we at ISAAC Luxe may advise you to opt for the following treatments.
1. Chemical Peels: We offer a variety of AHA and BHA peels that help improve skin texture, pigmentation and dark spots around the under-eye area.
2. Microdermabrasion: A non-invasive procedure that uses tiny crystals or other exfoliating surfaces to help remove the superficial layer of dead skin cells. This helps minimize pores, boost blood circulation and pigmentation.
3. Dermal Fillers: Dermal fillers are injectables that are used to plump and hydrate skin and also renew collagen and elastin that we lose over the years as we age. With hyaluronic acid, these fillers also help reduce dark circles.
4. Laser treatment: As our skin gets older with time, we can tighten the skin with the help of the most advanced lasers at ISAAC Luxe. Laser treatments generate heat and stimulate the production of collagen, thereby reducing the appearance of dark circles. Each of these treatments require a customised consultation depending on your skin and skin concerns.
Please drop a message if you’re interested to know more.
See A Visible Difference In Dark Circles With ISAAC Luxe’s Eye Light
Often a combination of lifestyle, hormones and depleting collagen, most of us combat dark circles through our life. Eye Light, a painless intradermal delivery system induces collagen and elastin production. It also improves skin texture and appearances of fine lines and wrinkles. An all-new treatment at ISAAC Luxe, it is a needle free treatment that promises great results.
With Eye Light, we offer:
• Reduction Of Dark Circles
• Reduction Of Fine Lines and Wrinkles In The Under Eye Area
• Relief from eye bags and puffiness
• Better skin texture
How Eye Light Works
With peptides complex, GF complex, and botanical stem extracts, ISAAC Luxe’s Eye Light is a non-invasive 30-minute therapeutic treatment for dark circles and wrinkles. We start by cleansing the undereye area and then use our patent eye contour serum that helps hydrate the area. Then, we gently use a dermaroller on the under-eye area as well as below the eyebrow. By micro-needling and making those tiny injuries in the skin, you’re putting collagen production into overdrive and literally thickening that skin. We then use a patent eye mask enriched with antioxidants, peptides and other ingredients. The session finishes with an application and massage of our specialised eye cream.