Hair loss is one of the most common problems that people experience during monsoon. Humidity during the monsoon can make your hair dandruff prone, itchy and frizzy. The chemical structure of the hair is such that it absorbs moisture, and hydrogen, which forms bonds, making the cuticles frizzy. This means that hair will not just become a little unmanageable, but it can also break and fall.
On a normal day we experience a fall of 50-60 strands which is considered healthy. But during this season a person can experience hair fall of more than 200 strands. Apart from hair fall, you can also witness problems like oily scalp and roughness that makes your hair look dull.
The humidity in the climate will find you and go straight to your hair. Eventually giving rise to hair woes you just can’t escape. So, what to do in that situation?
- Keep Your Hair Dry: Your hair takes longer to dry in the monsoon than in any other season. Don’t forget to make time to towel dry your hair as whenever you wash it.
- Remember To Shampoo: People tend to avoid shampooing the hair during the monsoon as the hair is wet most of the time. But this only causes more damage. Use a good, nourishing, effective and mild shampoo. You can even shampoo every day during monsoon if needed.
- Eat Protein-Rich Foods: Diet plays a big role in hair fall. Eat dark green leafy vegetables, sprouts, nuts, eggs, fish, carrots, kidney beans which are rich in protein. Protein helps strengthen hair follicles, which in turn keeps hair fall in the rainy season at bay.
- Drink Sufficient Water: Staying adequately hydrated can prevent a lot of sicknesses and hair fall during the monsoon. Water drains out all the toxins from the body. You drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
- Take Supplements: One of the best-known vitamins for hair growth is a B-vitamin called biotin. You can also take iron, manganese, and multi-vitamins for hair growth.
Don’t Tie/Comb Wet Hair: Tying wet hair or combing wet hair causes the root shafts to weaken and hence can result in hair fall. So even if you have gotten your head wet, don’t tie your hair up, leave it open.
While losing hair is common in rainy season, there is a range of other reasons for female and male pattern baldness. Genetics play a big role in hairloss, hormonal imbalance, vitamin deficiency, thyroid, medicinal side effects, stress and environmental factors.
Some conditions produce small areas of hair loss, while others affect large areas of the scalp. Common causes of patchy hair loss are:
Genetics plays a big role in male pattern baldness and male hormones increase of DHT hormone (when testosterone gets converted into DiHydroTestosterone) could be a reason.
In female pattern hair loss causes are still not clear but it is mostly because of increased testosterone hormone and sometimes genetics. Scalp fungal infection could also be a reason for hair fall.
Thyroid blood tests and other lab tests, including a complete blood count (CBC), on people who have ordinary hair loss are usually normal. More lab tests like pull and tug test in clinic, DHT(hormonal) T3,T4,TSH, CBC, TIBC, serum ferritin, serum iron can help diagnose the reason better. If a person notices that they are losing more hair than usual, they may have an underlying condition. In that instance, they should see a doctor and seek advice on what the best treatment options are.
DERMATOLOGICAL TREATMENTS FOR HAIR LOSS
Excessive hair loss can be a troublesome problem, often causing worry and affecting self-esteem, especially for women. However, if diagnosed right, you can treat them properly. At ISAAC LUXE, we advise our patients for treatment according to their history and after a full assessment.
1. Platelet-rich plasma or (PRP) therapy for hair loss is a medical treatment in which your own blood is drawn, processed, and then injected into the scalp. It is ideal for people with thinning or wispy hair and can be used by both men and women.
2. Mesotherapy: A hair restoration procedure that is gaining popularity steadily is mesotherapy, it’s used to treat hair thinning, alopecia, or male-pattern baldness that occurs due to certain hormones. Mesotherapy is a treatment for hair loss management used for restoring volume to thinning hair. It’s a process that promotes the significant regrowth of hair of all those who are experiencing the beginning of balding.
3. Stem Cell Therapy is an effective non-surgical transplant therapy. It is a technique that stimulates and helps regrow hair. This new-age hair transplant treatment technique is similar to a traditional hair transplant. The therapy not only helps to fight hair loss but to improve hair growth, texture, and quality.
PRESCRIPTION TREATMENTS FOR HAIRFALL
Medications are available to treat pattern (hereditary) baldness. The most common options include:
1. Minoxidil comes in liquid, foam and shampoo forms. Products with minoxidil help many people regrow their hair or slow the rate of hair loss or both. It’ll take at least six months of treatment to prevent further hair loss and to start hair regrowth
2. Finasteride (Propecia): This is a prescription drug for men. Many men taking finasteride experience a slowing of hair loss, and some may show new hair growth. It may take a few months to tell whether it’s working for you.
**It’s important to consult your doctor for possible benefits before taking medicine.