Dandruff is a common scalp problem in which the scalp produces too much oil, which causes dry and flaky skin. Hair fall is another common problem in which hair falls out due to excessive shedding of the outer layer of the hair.
This can be due to poor nutrition, stress or even dyeing your hair. Most people do not realize that dandruff and hair fall are actually two different problems that can be treated separately.
Dandruff can be treated at home with over-the-counter products, but if you are looking for something more effective then visit a dermatologist.
Reasons for Dandruff
Dandruff is a common skin condition that can affect the scalp and hair. It’s caused by a build-up of dead skin cells, which usually come from a dry, itchy scalp.
Dandruff often begins as small white or yellow spots on the scalp. These spots may be itchy and can make you feel self-conscious.Dandruff is also called seborrheic dermatitis or malassezia folliculitis.
This refers to an overgrowth of yeast called Malassezia furfur (or Malassezia furfur). The yeast produces an oil that can clog pores on your scalp and cause dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis.
The most common causes of dandruff are:
- The scalp is too dry. Some people have sensitive scalps that can’t cope with the normal amount of moisture in the air, so they end up with flaky skin on their heads.
- The best way to keep this under control is to use a good shampoo and conditioner every day. If you have very dry hair, try using a leave-in conditioner before shampooing.
- – You’re using a shampoo that’s too harsh for your hair. It may seem counterintuitive, but shampoos that contain sulfates (such as SLS or SLES) can actually make dandruff worse by stripping away natural oils from the scalp surface.
- Instead, look for shampoos that contain less than 10% sulfates or parabens or no preservatives at all. You can leave these shampoos on for longer periods than conventional ones — usually around 20 minutes — making them more effective at cleaning oily hair without stripping it away completely.
- Your shampoo isn’t rinsed out properly (or doesn’t contain enough conditioner). It’s important to rinse out any residue left by your shampoo when you’ve finished washing your hair as this can lead to build-up which in turn leads to problems in your hair.
Tips To Getting Rid of Dandruff
Here are some tips to get rid of dandruff and hair fall:
- Use a conditioner after washing your hair to make it softer than usual and reduce frizziness in hair strands at the roots level.
- Use a gentle shampoo that does not contain any harsh chemicals like sulfates or parabens. The best shampoos are those that contain natural ingredients like aloe vera, vitamin E, oils and minerals etc.
- Always massage your scalp with your fingers gently before washing it to remove any excess oils from the scalp.
Types of Shampoo That You Can Use to Get Rid of Dandruff
There are many ways to get rid of dandruff and hair fall.
- You can use a shampoo that contains ketoconazole, an antifungal medication that kills the yeast that causes dandruff and hair fall.
- You can also use a shampoo containing selenium sulfide, which is an anti-inflammatory agent. It helps reduce inflammation in the scalp and can help stop hair fall.
- You can also use a shampoo with zinc pyrithione, which has anti-inflammatory properties and helps treat dandruff and hair fall by reducing inflammation in the scalp.